More News: Chicago Reparations; P. Diddy's New Fragrance; The Booties Rock the 2015 Met Gala Red Carpet and more!
Watch the video of What's The 411 Episode 51:
Featuring What's The 411 host Glenn Gilliam and special guest host, Courtney Rashon, President, Courtney Rashon Industries
THE UNITED NATIONS recently unveiled a memorial dedicated in memory to those who were killed and sacrificed in the transatlantic slave trade and its atrocities. The memorial is entitled The Ark Of Return.
At the recent unveiling ceremonies, U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon called slavery "a stain on human history." The U.N. has declared 2015-2024 as the International Decade for People of African Descent. The memorial, designed by Haitian-American architect Rodney Leon, is at U.N. Headquarters in Manhattan.
Singer Bobby Brown has been awarded a small victory. A judge has appointed Brown, along with his former sister-in-law Pat Houston, co-guardians of Bobbi Kristina Brown.
Shonda Rhimes' shows: Grey's Anatomy; Scandal; and How to Get Away With Murder have been renewed by ABC.
Everyone's still talking about the May-Pac fight that wasn't. But an equal number of people, on social media, are talking about how Jamie Foxx 'fizzled' doing the National Anthem, Foxx later told Ellen Degeneres, that his earpiece came out.
"My inner ears were out and I'm singing with an organ, so I can't hear what the organ is doing with the big crowd. So some of it was a little off."
Walking Dead star, Seth Gilliam was arrested in Atlanta and charged with DUI, reckless driving, drug possession and speeding. He has since been released.
A touching tribute took place at the recent Sports Emmys. TNT host Ernie Johnson won the Sports Emmy for Best Studio Host. But Johnson turned to the audience and said "there is only one place it belongs and that is on the mantle of Stuart Scott's house." Johnson then asked that Scott's daughters come up, where he presented them with the Emmy.
The Gap Band has won songwriting credit and a share of the royalties for the Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars hit Uptown Funk. The group consists of Charlie, Robert, and Ronnie Wilson.
BET.com is reporting that The Carters may be purchasing a new home....in New Orleans! And, to top things off, it used to be a Presbyterian church.
Vibe and essence.com are reporting Beyoncé has offered 3 teenage girls a chance of a lifetime. Sisters Chloe and Halle Bailey, 17 and 19 years-old respectively, and Sophie Beem have been scouted by Queen Bey's Parkwood Entertainment and been offered multi-year contracts.
In memoriam, we remember:
• Errol Brown, the lead singer of the band Hot Chocolate, has died at age 71 from liver cancer. The singer was best known for the hits You Sexy Thing and It Started with a Kiss.
• Guy Carawan, a white folk singer who stood up before a group of black students in Raleigh, North Carolina in 1960, and sang a little known folk song. That song was We Shall Overcome. The song became the anthem of the civil rights movement. Carawan, whom the New York Times called the Marseillaise of the integration movement, has died at age 87.
Sean "Diddy" Combs and his singer/model girlfriend, Cassie, are heating up the internet due to the release of Diddy's new fragrance called 3. a.m.; the commercial features the couple engaging in simulated sexual acts and nudity. Diddy defended the ad by saying:
"The concept, for the video, represents one of the things that 3 a.m. is for me. It's a very one-on-one time. It's a time to have fun and push the envelope a little bit. It's definitely an hour where you would find yourself with a young lady. Anything can happen at 3 a.m., and in the video, you see a fantasy that's in my head of what happened that night."
According to hollywoodlife.com, Macy's has rejected the fragrance ad.
The 2015 Met Gala brought out a who's who of A-Listers to the red carpet. Raven Symone led the pack on throwing shade when she said on The View that, Beyonce, J. Lo; and Kim Kardashian should "put some pants on." Additionally, a meme has been circulating on social media asking people to pick out the porn stars by comparing the celebs at the Met Gala to porn stars attending an Adult Video Awards.
THE 2015 MET GALA was a night filled with everyone's favorite celebrities wearing couture. Celebrities such as JAY-Z, BEYONCÉ, KIM KARDASHIAN, KANYE WEST, RIHANNA, JUSTIN BIEBER, and JENNIFER LOPEZ all attended and were looking fabulous or not!.
• The showstopper of the evening was Rihanna wearing a canary yellow elaborate gown with major detailing created by Chinese designer Guo Pe. The dress took two years to make.
• It was the "Battle of the Booties" For Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian, and Beyoncé. All celebrities looked amazing in sheer, see-through and cut out gowns. Beyoncé wore a sheer flesh tone colored jeweled Givenchy gown, Kim was wearing a white sheer and lace ROBERTO CAVALLI gown with an elongated train and J-Lo wore a wine colored sheer cut out VERSACE gown.
• TARAJI P. HENSON was also in attendance wearing a gorgeous black and white strapless gown by ALEXANDER WANG.
• DWYANE WADE and GABRIELLE UNION looked fabulous. It was reported that WADE'S two VERSACE ensembles' for the night costs a whopping 900,000 dollars. His beautiful wife wore a wine colored draped ZAC POSEN gown.
The men who were flying solo that evening were also looking sharp.
• JUSTIN BIEBER was wearing flashy Balmain jacket adorned with gold, LEE DANIELS was dressed in a BURBERRY tux and COMMON wore a tux by PRADA. All of these guys looked handsome.
• Not to mention Jay Z who wore a black Tom Ford tux
• Kayne West wore Roberto Cavalli
• Derek Jeter and girlfriend, Sports Illustrated cover model, Hannah Davis, were spotted at the gala. Hannah was dressed in a red sheer one shoulder fitted J. Mendel gown and Jeter wore a Rag and Bone tux.
Under The Radar:
MARLENE PINNOCK, A 51 year-old great grandmother, recently spoke out about the horrors of her beating by a California Highway patrol officer. Pinnock received a one million dollar settlement.
QUESTION: Is a monetary settlement enough?
History has been made in Chicago. The CHICAGO CITY COUNCIL has passed reparations legislation for the victims abused by former police commander Jon Burge. Burge gained notoriety for torturing over 100 prisoners (majority being black men) from 1971 to 1992, in order to gain confessions. The council approved a settlement of over $5.5 million dollars which will be divided up between them. The deal also requires that Chicago teens learn about police brutality in school.
QUESTION: What about the officers involved, what punishment do they receive?
WOMEN'S WEAR DAILY (WWD) called out JAY Z on his appearance at 2015 MET GALA. WWD essentially said that JAY Z needs to lose weight, that his suit did not fit well and perhaps JAY Z needs to see his wife's dermatologist to get cosmetic surgery or some fillers because the lines on his face are getting too deep.
QUESTION: Why is WWD going in hard on Jay Z? What's behind this shade?
On The Carpet
The Mayor of Cleveland, Ohio, Frank Johnson, because he did not know that Samaria Rice, the mother of Tamir Rice, the 12 year-old boy who was shot by a Cleveland police officer was living in a homeless shelter. Ms. Rice gave up her apartment and moved into a homeless shelter because she could not bear to look at the park where her son was murdered.
Question: Should the Mayor of Cleveland have assigned someone in his office to oversee Ms. Rice's well-being?
BROADCAST AND CABLE NETWORKS are being called on the carpet because of the monopoly of white men on SUNDAY NEWS SHOWS and EVENING NEWSCASTS.
Question: Should the broadcast and cable networks have more diversity on their Sunday public affairs shows and evening newscasts?
In the Pipeline
Director Ava Duvernay's African-American Film Festival Releasing Movement (AFFRM) recently launched its second annual membership drive. The drive, designed to financially assist Black women and Latinas filmmakers with distribution of their films, will run from May 4 through June 5.
Parker Sawyer and Tika Sumpter are set to play Barack Obama and Michelle Robinson in an upcoming romantic drama SOUTHSIDE WITH YOU. The film centers on the then future first couple's first date and is currently in production.
- Published in Videos