Watch Video Discussion of Nate Parker's The Birth of a Nation
Despite The Birth of a Nation's stellar reviews, its $7M opening weekend haul is lackluster, and many are saying that the Nat Turner biopic's dreary performance is related to the rape controversies that have besieged the film's director/producer/star Nate Parker and co-writer, Jean McGianni Celestin.
However, given all of that, Onika McLean says go see the movie. Forget what you hear from the social detractors, The Birth of a Nation is well-crafted with so many story lines and themes that come together into an impeccable work of art.
Onika says, The Birth of a Nation is #BlackManFocused and not your ordinary slave movie.
Latest from Ruth J. Morrison
- Filmmaker Stefanie Joshua on Gentrification, and Bushwick Homecomings: The Record
- Terra Renee on How She Authored a Chapter in Book About Michelle Obama
- China's Alibaba Singles Day Sales Beats Black Friday and Prime Day by a Mile
- Domestic Violence Rears Its Ugly Head Upon LaShonda Childs [VIDEO DISCUSSION]
- Chance The Rapper Donates $1 Million for Mental Health Services in Chicago [QUICK TAKES]