VIDEO INTERVIEW: Terrell “T-Rex” Simon excited about debut album As the World Turns and upcoming performances at B.B. Kings and The Apollo
In this interview, R&G innovator, Terrell “T-Rex” Simon sat down with Onika McLean, co-host of What’s The 411 to talk about his new single, Let It Rain, off of his forthcoming album, As the World Turns. They also talked about the new music category, R&G; using music to create a street ministry, using the label R&G to create a new audience for Gospel Music; and how the church needs to meet people where they are.
Terrell Simon’s music career started in the church in Troy, New York. In 2003, Simon’s connections led him to platinum-selling singer-songwriter/producer Lyfe Jennings who took him on the road with his act. Simon began touring with such major artists as John Legend, Beyonce, Anthony Hamilton, and Musiq Soulchild. As a huge fan of Dave Hollister, coming up he adopted a similar sound, patterning his voice after the vocal sensation, and later touring with him as a backup singer. His TV appearances include Jimmy Kimmel, Good Morning America, David Letterman, Jay Leno, 106 & Park, and The Monique Show, among others. The pivotal moment in his career came when he appeared on MTV Unplugged with Neyo, which gained mass exposure for him.
After sharing stages with everyone including Wyclef Jean and Mario, Simon started managing Lyfe Jennings, and road-managing vocalist Shaliek while mentoring and developing him and other talents such as Day 26. In 2015, Simon teamed with artist, producer, and singer Lamar Casey who served as executive producer and co-wrote his debut album. Simon also teamed with Bernie Stevenson (Isyss, Kelly Rowland), who took his riveting raw vocals and created the soul-stirring track, In His Image, which set Simon's launch pad for a fresh start.
Terrell “T-Rex” Simon brings to the industry his own musical genre, 'R&G' for rhythm and gospel, which beautifully infuses his natural church boy upbringing with his love of Hip Hop. In His Image was in rotation at Music Choice and gained radio play daily. The song's immediate appeal pointed to a fast growing musical phenomenon (exampled by 100,000 Instagram followers to date), which laid the groundwork for Simon’s debut album, As The World Turns.
Terrell “T-Rex” Simon has recently performed for a BET Music Matters showcase in NY, opened up for Lyfe Jennings, Bobby V, and Keke Wyatt. This performance led to appearances at B.B. King's and The Apollo Theater.
Terrell “T-Rex” Simon’s music is available on every digital platform including Spotify, Pandora, iTunes, iHeart Radio, XM Satellite, and SoundCloud, with hard copy CDs available on Amazon.com.
- In His Image
- Let It Rain
- As The World Turns
- Lyfe Jennings
- John Legend
- Anthony Hamilton
- Musiq Soulchild
- Dave Hollister
- Good Morning America
- David Letterman
- Jay Leno
- 106 & Park
- The Monique Show
- MTV Unplugged
- Wyclef Jean
- Day 26
- Lamar Casey
- Bernie Stevenson
- BET Music Matters
- Bobby V
- Keke Wyatt
- BB King
- The Apollo Theater
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Give $100,000 College Scholarships to 11 Students
- Beyonce, Kenya Barris, Tamron Hall, Will Smith, Meghan Markle, Sex Dolls, and more | Ep. 130
- How digital music streaming has helped and hurt new album releases
- Oprah Winfrey Gains with Weight Watchers Investment | What’s The 411 | Ep. 126
- Beyonce and Destiny’s Child Rock Coachella | What’s The 411 | Ep. 125
Latest from Ruth J. Morrison
- Filmmaker Stefanie Joshua on Gentrification, and Bushwick Homecomings: The Record
- Terra Renee on How She Authored a Chapter in Book About Michelle Obama
- China's Alibaba Singles Day Sales Beats Black Friday and Prime Day by a Mile
- Domestic Violence Rears Its Ugly Head Upon LaShonda Childs [VIDEO DISCUSSION]
- Chance The Rapper Donates $1 Million for Mental Health Services in Chicago [QUICK TAKES]