Award-winning poet Sonia Sanchez rehearsing for Def Poetry Jam
What's The 411 attended a media event for Def Poetry Jam, and captured poet and activist, Sonia Sanchez, during a rehearsal/sound check for an episode of Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry, better known as Def Poetry Jam.
An educator, mother, and winner of several awards for her poetry and activism, Ms. Sanchez is most often associated with the Black Arts Movement. In fact, Sanchez was a very influential part of the Civil Rights Movement and the Black Studies Movement. Sanchez has edited two anthologies on Black literature, We Be Word Sorcerers: 25 Stories by Black Americans and 360° of Blackness Coming at You. She continues to advocate for the rights of oppressed women and minority groups.
Def Poetry Jam, a spoken word poetry television series hosted by Mos Def, in addition to Ms. Sanchez, featured many established and up-and-coming poets and spoken word artists and aired on HBO from 2002 through 2007.
Latest from Ruth J. Morrison
- Filmmaker Stefanie Joshua on Gentrification, and Bushwick Homecomings: The Record
- Terra Renee on How She Authored a Chapter in Book About Michelle Obama
- China's Alibaba Singles Day Sales Beats Black Friday and Prime Day by a Mile
- Domestic Violence Rears Its Ugly Head Upon LaShonda Childs [VIDEO DISCUSSION]
- Chance The Rapper Donates $1 Million for Mental Health Services in Chicago [QUICK TAKES]