WATCH VIDEO: AJ Calloway Talking About Hip Hop
What’s The 411TV correspondent, Cristina Twitty, ran into AJ Calloway, former host of BET's 106th and Park at Central Park Summerstage’s 40 Years of Hip-Hop Celebration.
You know Cristina had to find out of all the hip-hop artists who were there to perform, which one did AJ come to see?
"Everybody that has been on that stage so far is a hip-hop legend and I came to see everybody, from Soul Sonic Force to Kool Herc to Big Daddy..., everybody," said AJ trying to be politically correct.
AJ also refused to pick a favorite album or a favorite artist.
"So what does it mean to be here at the 40th Anniversary of Hip-Hop Culture," asked Cristina.
"I owe everything to hip-hop, so I had to come here to tip my hat, stand to the side and watch my heroes on stage," AJ added.
"I actually enjoy that hip-hop more than the ... hip-hop now and I'd love to see hip-hop go back to its roots," he continued.
What do you think is missing from hip-hop now?
"Substance," replied AJ.
Latest from Ruth J. Morrison
- Filmmaker Stefanie Joshua on Gentrification, and Bushwick Homecomings: The Record
- Terra Renee on How She Authored a Chapter in Book About Michelle Obama
- China's Alibaba Singles Day Sales Beats Black Friday and Prime Day by a Mile
- Domestic Violence Rears Its Ugly Head Upon LaShonda Childs [VIDEO DISCUSSION]
- Chance The Rapper Donates $1 Million for Mental Health Services in Chicago [QUICK TAKES]