In commemoration of World AIDS Day, What's The 411 presents this throwback video from 2002, featuring Black music and film stars who came out for a benefit concert to support Lifebeat: Music Fights HIV/AIDS, a national non-profit organization dedicated to reaching America's youth with the message of HIV/AIDS prevention.
Included in this video are actor/comedian Mike Epps; actress/director Kim Fields; singer/songwriter Musiq; musician/DJ Kid Capri; rapper/actor Ja Rule; music producer Irv Gotti; singer/songwriter Ashanti; and rapper, Charli Baltimore.
Everyone spoke about the need for HIV/AIDS Awareness and prevention.
Kim Fields reminded us not to alienate those that may be HIV-positive or suffering from AIDS. Unfortunately, even in 2012, some people with HIV are still being ostracized.
Charli Baltimore, a mother of two daughters expressed that teaching abstinence "is unrealistic at this point, I think it is more important that we teach our young, especially daughters to love themselves, and respect themselves, and protect themselves."
Kid Capri made one of the most profound statements of the night "five seconds of pleasure could really ruin your life."
Ja Rule had a message for the media, "I hope it's not just looking at all the artists coming out. I hope they're looking at the big picture and not just taking pictures."
- Former journalist and current music publicist Jay Holz discusses the effects of digital music streaming
- How digital music streaming has helped and hurt new album releases
- Interview with Teen Sensation Haley Smith and Songwriter Chas Bronxson
- QUICK TAKES: Remy Ma, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Carson Huey-You [VIDEO]
- Harvard Honors Rihanna with a Humanitarian of the Year Award
Latest from Ruth J. Morrison
- Domestic Violence Rears Its Ugly Head Upon LaShonda Childs [VIDEO DISCUSSION]
- Chance The Rapper Donates $1 Million for Mental Health Services in Chicago [QUICK TAKES]
- Katt Williams Starts a Family Feud on Atlanta Radio Show [VIDEO]
- Bill Cosby Gets Max Sentence, Is It Too Harsh? [VIDEO DISCUSSION]
- Dr. Christine Blasey Ford’s Hearing Unveils White Male Power Politics [VIDEO]