VIDEO DISCUSSION: Actress Amandla Stenberg puts forth a thoughtful position in a Teen Vogue Snapchat
Outspoken teen actress Amandla Stenberg, famous for her breakout role in the Hunger Games as Rue came out as bisexual on a Teen Vogue snapchat. The 17-year-old said in a series of snaps:
It's a really, really hard thing to be silenced. And it's deeply bruising to fight against your identity and to mold yourself into shapes that you just shouldn't be in."
Stenberg continued "as someone who identifies as a black, bisexual woman, I've been through it, and its hurts. It's awkward and it's uncomfortable. But then I realized because of Solange [Knowles], and Ava Duverney, and Willow [Smith], and all the black girls watching this right now, that there's absolutely nothing to change."
"We cannot be suppressed," the actress added. "We are meant to express our joy, and our love, and our tears, and be big and bold and definitely not easy to swallow."
Latest from Kizzy Cox
- Trinidadian Soca Artist Fay Ann Lyons Stands Up for Power Soca
- ON THE CARPET: Cop Who Murdered Tamir Rice Won't Stand Trial
- Caribbean Cook-up: Jamaican Dancehall Community Upset With Justin Beiber Choreographer
- James Wright's Viral Video Gives Patti Pie Sales a Huge Boost
- Filmmaker Spike Lee Receives Honorary Oscar