WATCH VIDEO: NELSON MANDELA REMEMBERED
Dr. Makaziwe Mandela remembers fondly how, as a little girl of 6 or 7, she walked around a farm with her father, Nelson Mandela and they talked about "everything and anything."
It was a simple moment made precious because Dr. Mandela's father was an African National Congress (ANC) leader in hiding and she was only with him for the weekend. His activism and defiance of the apartheid regime would not go unpunished. Only a couple of years later he was taken from his family and thrown into prison where he remained for 27 grueling years.
While in prison, his commitment to equality for all South Africans remained strong and his stature around the world grew as support for apartheid declined.
Latest from Kizzy Cox
- Caribbean LGBT Masqueraders Make a Vivid Display at NYC Pride Parade 2018
- Trinidadian Soca Artist Fay Ann Lyons Stands Up for Power Soca
- Hunger Games Actress Comes Out as Bisexual
- ON THE CARPET: Cop Who Murdered Tamir Rice Won't Stand Trial
- Caribbean Cook-up: Jamaican Dancehall Community Upset With Justin Beiber Choreographer